1 WEEK PRIOR
- Fill your prescription for Golytely and 2 tablets of Bisacodyl (Dulcolax) at the pharmacy.
- Arrange for a driver to take you home on the day of the exam.
- If you have diabetes, check with your doctor regarding diet and medication instructions.
- Please discontinue fiber supplements, iron supplements including multivitamins and blood thinners such as Coumadin, Aspirin, and Plavix
1 DAY PRIOR
- Start a clear liquid diet in the morning. Clear liquids include: Broths, Water, Clear fruit juices (apple or white), Soda, Gatorade, Jell-O, Popsicles, Coffee or Tea (No Milk or Cream). You may use sugar or lemon. Please do not have any dairy products, or Orange Juice or Anything Red
- Take 2tablets of Besacodyl at 5 pm
- Mix Golytely solution as directed on the container. You may put it in the refrigerator to chill before drinking.
- Between 5 and 8 pm start drinking one 8oz glass of the solution every 10-15 minute.
- Nothing is to be taken after midnight prior to the procedure.
- You may take your morning medications with a small sip of water.
- If you have asthma, place bring your inhaler with you.
- A RESPONSIBLE ADULT MUST ACCOMPANY ALL PATIENTS THE DAY OF THE PROCEDURE. NO PATIENT SHOULD DRIVE ON THE DAY OF THE COLONOSCOPY.